Sunday, September 25, 2011

Beautiful Autumn Days

What a beautiful day it is in my neighborhood.  It's warm and sunny.  A perfect apple picking day!  I love to taste the sweet tartness of a Macintosh apple.  How about you?
     I have been honored by Andi at PencilsGlueandTyingShoes with the Versatile Award !  Yippee!  Now for 7 things about me.
1.  I am an empty Nester this year.  Both of my children go to SUNY Potsdam in NY.  I miss them.
2.  I love teaching first grade.  Writing is my favorite time of the day.
3.  I am a chocoholic!
4.  I grew up in Maine and try to visit every summer.  I love the ocean.
5.  I have 11 siblings who live all across the US.  Three of my sisters are teachers, one in first grade, one in art and one at the University level.
6.  My dad lives in Ireland with all the leprechauns.
7.  I love technology.  I went to ISTE for the first time this summer.  I love writing a blog and keeping a webpage.

Now for some new websites that I recently discovered.
Check out this fabulous sites.

This past week we did our first Internet project.  We stacked Oreos.  It was Fun Fun Fun!  Our average for the class was 20 cookies.  We love Oreos and the black teeth that come with eating them.   Check out the results from 100's of classrooms at Projects by Jen.

Our class has also been working on a 2nd Internet project called the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Project.  Our class has decorated the letter W and will be finishing them up in the next few days to send out to 25 other classrooms.  We are all looking forward to seeing what the other letters look like.  Pictures to come.

Our class will be skyping with another first grade from Iowa.  http://morningsunfirstgrade.blogspot.com/   We are forming our questions now and will be using Google Earth to locate our school and their school.  We are hoping to be kidblog pen pals.  It's all so exciting.

Our ipod touches were the hit of our Open House.  Everyone wanted to "touch" them.  The kids look forward to their time on the pods each day.  It was terrific to meet all the families at Open House this week.  I am looking forward to a great year as a first grade community.

This week we are excited to host author Leah Mermelstein.  She will be in our district for 2 days and we are fortunate to have her right in our very own classroom!  She will be teaching my class all about getting started on a piece of writing for writing workshop.  We are beyond excited.  Hopefully, I'll get her in action with the kids.  I had to do a little cleaning because along with Leah will come 10 other teachers watching her every move.  I can't wait.

I hope the weather continues to be warm and sunny.  The leaves are changing here and the apples are crisp.  Have a great week.

Claire

 

No comments:

Post a Comment