Friday, August 3, 2012

It's About Time!

Well it's about time I blogged about my fabulous meeting with Laurie Hilton my terrific skyping buddy from Iowa!  It was more than a week ago that I got together with Laurie in a great little Iowan town on the Mississippi River called LeClaire.  This is the birth place of Buffalo Bill, (he has his own museum!) and home of the American Pickers TV show.....Way Cool!  A big thank you goes out to my father-in-law Bob Dietsche for chauffeuring me all around  Illinois and Iowa!  It was fun!

We had lunch at a great little place called Happy Joe's.  I just loved the name!  Has anyone been to one?  Great Food!  It was an amazingly hot day of 104 degrees and full of humidity.  I thought I had melted a bit.  We chatted for quite a while, discussing some fun projects for the coming year.  It was the neatest thing to be sitting across the table from Laurie and collaborating together.  I will be posting a project idea for others to join shortly that I'm calling The Firstie's Month Project!  I'm not sold on the name yet but look for project details in the next week.
Happy Claire at Happy Joe's with Happy Laurie:)


One project idea I had was: I thought it would be cool to have our classes create a short video at the beginning of the year, kind of like a commercial as a way to introduce our school to our skype friends from Iowa.  I'm hoping that it will generate questions for one of our first skyping sessions.  It will be interesting to see what first graders will think is interesting enough to video tape.  I'll share the video after we produce it this fall.  I will be having the kiddos use our ipod touches to take pictures and videos with.  We'll see how it all turns out.

Our summer has been very sunny and our pool has been used quite regularly.  The current temperature of our pool is 92 degrees...ahh it's hot!  My latest challenge will be to blog at least 7 more times before my first day of school (teacher inservice) on August 21st.  I have lots of ideas to share.

Claire

2 comments:

  1. I was so happy to finally meet you! Thanks for comimg all that way for our meet-up! :) Enjoy the rest of your summer and I really look forward to our fun projects this year!! Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto Laurie,
    Thank you for agreeing to meet with me. I wish it was easier to get together. I'm glad we have Skype! Enjoy the rest of your HOT summer! I don't know how you are going to teach we no air-conditioning. Claire

    ReplyDelete