Sunday, March 30, 2014

Grit Do your students have it?

Every day is a new day for me.  I start out fresh with a new outlook on how to create a great day for my students.  It's not easy with all the demands of the curriculum, student lives and daily problems.  Being positive helps to get me through the day.  Some people would say I have grit.  I think it's more of my determination to have a successful day.

The Common Core State Standards is the latest buzz word in education.  Ok so it's really four words but you know what I mean.  One of the skills the CCSS is promoting, is rigor  for  work within the classroom.  Rigor requires determination, stamina, and grit.   Students need that can-do attitude and with a Never Give Up mantra.  Our kids love their tv, iPods, computers, and video games.  The rigor and determination is not part of their daily lives but it needs to be.   My students need to be pushed master skills.   I know that with out the rigor in their daily work they may fall further behind their peers.

I came across this great TED video of Angela Lee Ducksworth speaking about The Key To Success: Grit!  Just the inspiration I need to continue my push in the classroom for more rigor and grit.



Do your student's have it?




No comments:

Post a Comment